why you are British

Why do you say sorry when you meant to say excuse me? Why do you bring yourself down all the time? Why is it so easy to feel "patronised"? Why things aren't good, only not-too-bad? Well, you don't know. But maybe you do. That's why you are British, and I am not.

Friday, May 26, 2006

why you are, why I am not

I don’t know if this is gonna last at all, but if it survives the day then it’s already above expectations.

This is not a blog, in the normal sense of blog. This is almost a display notebook where I will write now and then about what makes British people British. I could write in Portuguese of course, but I don’t think that would reach my target.

Yes, probably most of you don’t realise how funny you English are to foreigners like me.

As for me, I am a Brazilian woman and have been living in London for two years now. Still I find myself very puzzled with VBB (Very British Behaviour – this will be all over here, you better get familiar). So I thought to be a good idea to have a space where I can show this to people. Maybe I’ll find out I’m not the crazy one.

See, and this is not supposed to be therapy.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorei!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do I in a reserved British sort of a way...

:-)

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't done it yet, read Watching The English. Now. :)

2:53 PM  
Blogger Bia Singer said...

Nicole, this is on my shelf, next one on the queue. "Anonymous", you'll identify a lot...;-) Luluca, fabi, expect loads of fun. I've got so much to say about these English...

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, Bia.
A very good start only I think you are a Brazilian girl, not "woman"!

Beijos,
Papai

5:57 PM  
Blogger Smeller said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why are you such a patronizing uberbitch all the time ?

Why, because you're Brazilian of course

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bi... I want more! More... More. You write so beautifully in both languages...

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may not burp, but whatever comes out of your mouth when you speak is infinitely nastier, definitely...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Bia Singer said...

Sweet baby, what are you talking about? I can see your English is more Brazilian than my Portuguese... Who are you trying to fool? Even more clear to see you come from Mundo Pequeno. And to my blog, and to my other blog... Don't you just love me? =***

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home